YEPN Coffee Catch-up
“Bridging the generation gap, finding ways to motivate both senior and junior staff, developing systems to enable knowledge transfer and enhancing idea generation by complementing industry experience with fresh perspectives. These are all elements that global energy companies should be dealing with in order to support talent development in the workforce.”
Mentoring is widely considered to be one of the best ways to transfer knowledge from senior members of the industry to those seeking to develop their knowledge and take the next steps in their careers. The Young Energy Professionals Network has established a mentoring programme based on ‘mentoring moments’ that aims to provide a platform for this knowledge transfer. It will also provide access to constructive career advice and the opportunity to increase your professional network.
Mentoring moments are about engaging with many different people on a casual basis that over time builds a network of ‘mentors’ who can be called on for future advice, insights, or introductions. The YEPN Coffee Catch-up aims to initiate more ‘mentoring moments’ for young energy professionals by facilitating random catch ups with their senior peers.
How it all works:
- Once a month YEPN will randomly match mentors with a mentee – the random matching is intentional so that you get exposure to people from all backgrounds and skillsets;
- Each mentor and mentee are expected to set up a time to meet – the expectation is that mentees will make the first contact with mentors (mentors: you can always get in touch with us if you haven’t heard from your mentee, or email them yourself); and
- The meeting goes ahead – if you hit it off, you can plan to meet up again in the future, but there is no obligation to. Next month you will be matched with someone else, so you can look forward to meeting them then!
- Please note that some months we might have more mentors than mentees or vice versa. When this is the case, some people may miss out on having a match that month. If that’s the case we are sorry but you can expect to be matched again soon.
- Also, if you’ve been matched with a competing firm, it’s up to you to decide if you’re comfortable meeting and what topics you can or can’t discuss. It might be a good idea to talk to your employer if you have any concerns or questions about this.
Click here for more detailed information on how the programme works, and feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or feedback. It would be great if you could get in touch and let us know if you no longer wish to be a part of the programme at any point in time or need to pause.
We already have a great range of industry leaders who are mentors, so make sure you sign up using the mentee link below and we will be in touch to set you up with your first mentoring moment.
We are also always keen for more mentors, young and old, to help develop our young talent. If you have an interest in being a mentor, click the mentor link below and we will be in touch.